Saturday, January 19, 2019

Respawn Trials: Edge of the Abyss by Andrei Livadny




Respawn Trials, Book I:
Edge of the Abyss
by Andrei Livadny



Release - April 10, 2019





The Legend of the Guardians states: One who is pure of heart and desperately needs help, will always receive it.

 Chapter 1



The unexpected phone call came late in the evening. I was still awake and answered at once. "Hey. What's going on?"
My nephew and I got along pretty well, although he hadn't called or visited as often over the last few years. He'd all grown up. He had his own life now.
He said hello and then proceeded to breathe heavily into the phone without even asking after my health.
"Denis, why don't you get to the point?" 
"I need your help."
"Tell me," I said as I limped over to the window. The street was obscured by an autumn drizzle. The edge of the metropolis had crept right up to the village and the low clouds were snagging on the tips of the rising skyscrapers. The old house that I had inherited from my parents would soon be slated for demolition, and there was nothing I could do about it.
"I've been invited to join an expedition. For three months. Somebody needs to keep an eye on the apartment... I've also found a side job, you see, a pretty good one. I don't want to lose it."
"Any more details? Where's the expedition heading to? What kind of job? Of course, it's no trouble for me to water the plants and feed the cat."
"I don't have a cat, you know that! The work's simple, from home. Nothing heavy. You'll fix your health up, too."




"Interesting. What kind of side job provides medical treatments as well?" I smiled distrustfully.
"I can't explain in two words. Can you come over?" 
"What, right now?"
"Yes. I'm short on time. I kept dragging it out, hoping to find someone else to replace me, but it didn't work out. I'll call you an air taxi right now and pay for it. Will you help me out? My flight to Irkutsk leaves in three hours."
"Fine. We'll talk when I get there."
"Thank you! See you soon." He disconnected at once, probably to avoid any additional questions.
Denis had graduated from university the year before last. He had majored in Geology but, unfortunately, rapidly developing technology had made his profession redundant. All the corners of the globe were being carefully watched from orbit and the search for mineral resources was performed using powerful computers and scanners. The same thing had happened in many fields of human activity. Of course, machines weren't capable of completely replacing us, but they were faster and more effective at solving highly specialized problems.
In summary, Denis couldn't find a job in his field and for him to receive an invitation to join an expedition was an unmissable chance to launch his career.

* * *

My nephew’s small rental apartment was located on the 102nd floor of an enormous living complex. As I ascended in the high-speed elevator, my ears became blocked several times from the changes in pressure.
"Hi, come on in!" Denis was clearly happy to see me. "I didn't interrupt any of your plans, did I?"
"Oh, what plans?" I waved him away. "What sort of expedition are you going on?"
"A private one." He replied vaguely. "If everything goes well, they're promising to employ me as per my specialization. I simply couldn't miss a chance like this."
"Why didn't you call me earlier?" I sat down in an armchair and looked around. The modern apartments are fully automated. All the furniture is inbuilt so there are no separate rooms. The required piece of furniture comes out of the wall or descends from the ceiling. It’s called 'transformable space' but I think it looks empty and uninviting.
The only thing that stood out in Denis' apartment was a VR capsule made from dark tinted plastic, through which I could see the twinkling of indicator lights. It stood on a massive base and was slightly tilted, about 30 degrees relative to the floor. I'd seen such devices before. They were being heavily advertised over the last few years.
"You see, everything was only decided last night!"
"Okay. What's the side job? What exactly would I need to help you with?"
"Are you familiar with virtual reality?"
"Computer games, you mean?" I raised an eyebrow. "I played them in my youth."
Denis shook his head reproachfully. "Man, you've really fallen behind the times," he said and touched a sensor. Something hissed in the wall, a recess opened and a tray with two disposable cups extended towards us. I didn't touch mine – coffee this late in the evening was a bit over the top.
"Computer games are the ancient past. They've been replaced by full-scale virtual reality. It's basically an endless world where you can live."
"Live?" I smiled skeptically. Truth be told, I had heard something similar but had not taken it seriously.
"You'll understand if you try it yourself," Denis looked at me with obvious hope.
"Where’s the capsule from? It costs a lot of money, right?"
"I took out a loan and I'm paying it off little-by-little."
"I thought you couldn't find a job?"
"Yeah, so this is my job," he touched the convex side of the VR capsule. "Two to three hours a day and it's enough to live on."
"And what do you do in there?"
"I perform various tasks. They're quite simple. I've left a brief description of what you'll need to do. Have a read of the instructions file, I've set it up so that it will automatically download as soon as you... well, I mean, my character, will enter the game. Help me out, please? I’ve got nobody else to ask! Here's the access chip to my account. The automated system in the VR capsule will adjust all the necessary settings. Believe me, you have nothing to worry about, it's all completely safe. The system will fine-tune your body at the same time. The life support system inside is top notch."  
"Fine," I glanced at my old-fashioned analog watch that I wore out of habit. "Your plane leaves in an hour. You're not going to miss it?"

* * *

Once I was alone, I sat back down in the armchair and took a sip of cold coffee. My sleep had evaporated anyway. I glanced at the VR capsule with some alarm. I wasn't against progress but I also wasn't a slave to the latest gadgets. Everyone had heard about virtual reality, of course, it was all they spoke about on the spherovision these days, but I’ve always been skeptical about this kind of information. I reckoned all the fuss was just advertising for these very expensive 'immersion' devices. Honestly, how could anything replace real life?
I'd been through the Asian Conflict and had been wounded twice, once seriously. After several years spent in hospitals, I was forced to retire. Yes, I had fallen behind the times. My brother – Denis' father – was working on the Mars Project and was currently about thirty million kilometers away from Earth, on his way to the Red Planet. As far as I understood, VR capsule technology was first developed for long-distance space flights and only later adapted for commercial use.
The doubts, wariness and a growing sense of curiosity made me skim through the instructions.  
It seemed quite easy. Finishing off the cold coffee, I undressed and caught my reflection in the smoky plastic of the VR capsule. What was I waiting for? It's not like I was leaping into the line of fire.
A familiar chill formed in my chest. Seriously? Could I be afraid?
The motors hissed softly. Two segments moved apart and down, sliding along the sides of the capsule. The interior reminded me of a solarium. The bed looked firm, with a block with lots of openings at its head.
I climbed inside and lay down. It was uncomfortable. How do people put up with this for several hours?
The first impression turned out to be false. The hard surface suddenly changed its properties, becoming pliable and conforming to my shape, as if I was sinking into a thick, gel-like mass.
A sharp hiss came from the head of the bed. Ten flexible servocontrollers suddenly shot out of the openings and wrapped themselves around my body. I felt the touch of numerous sensors, the sharp, almost painful prickling over my temples and back of the head. I jerked automatically and tried to sit up but the cords held me tightly. The outer segments slid back into place, cutting off the light. A spicy scent sent my mind to sleep in a few seconds.
My eyelids felt heavy. A belated panic flashed through my thoughts. Denis never mentioned anything like this. He didn't really tell me anything!
Physical data does not match the last account records.
Bioscanning will commence and VR capsule parameters will be adjusted.
Please wait.
My muscles twitched involuntarily. There were occasional flashes of pain. The tingling in my temples turned into stinging.
Testing is complete.
Life support parameters have been adjusted.
Feedback (immersion) level has been reduced to 25%.
Please note, you perceive fewer sensations and receive less experience at low feedback levels.
You can always increase the sensory level above recommended but you are responsible for the consequences (see item 213.2 of the User Agreement).
Welcome to the Edge of the Abyss virtual reality!
I was expecting anything but birdsong and simply froze in the first moment due to emotional shock.
The view from the town wall was incredible. I was surrounded by the predawn light, the rough stone was cool under my hand and the respawn circle glinted around me, but it was the birdsong, once so familiar and then completely forgotten, that pierced me to my core. It was as realistic as if I had been transported back to my childhood.
The air was clean. A gentle breeze stirred the leaves and carried the scent of freshly mown grass.
It's hard to explain the gamut of emotions that I felt. My surroundings didn't feel fake. Digital reality had exceeded all my expectations.
I took deep breaths. The meadows, copses and scattered hills, the floodplain covered in morning fog – the whole landscape bewitched me.
I didn't hear the footsteps and didn't even notice the shadow until a sharp blade touched my throat and I heard a whisper, 'Don't move or I might accidentally cut you.'
My reflexes would have probably kicked in in the real world. I would have broken the jerk's arm, but I unexpectedly felt completely helpless here and stood still, my eyes bulging.
"Three seconds. You're free."
I turned around. A young guy stood behind me, dressed all in black.
"Don't get aggro," he said quite conciliatory. "I'm leveling up my Stealth skill. Why'd you freeze? Are you lagging?"
I didn't understand a word of what he’d said.
"Contact tech support," the guy suggested and disappeared, melting into the shadows as if he'd never been there.
The respawn circle (located on the fortress tower) lit up with a string of unfamiliar symbols and the figure of a well-built warrior appeared among the flickering glow. His armor was splattered with blood. Ignoring me, he rapidly headed to the stone steps leading downstairs.
"How come you're so early today?" A guard stopped beside me. He held a torch in one hand, while the other rested on the pommel of his sword.
"I couldn't sleep," I answered automatically.
"Remember our agreement? You owe me five coins by this evening."
I wanted to ask, 'what do I owe you money for?' but then stopped myself. I didn't know what Denis did in this world. He had left me very sparse instructions.
"What if I don't manage to get so many?"
"Then you won't enter the town at night," the guard snapped back. "If you can't pay, make sure to finish your business before sunset!"
"Sure, I will." There was no point in arguing. I had to figure it all out first. I strongly disliked his dismissive tone, however, and the scornful way he had said 'business'.
"That's better."
The respawn circle lit up again. An attractive young elven woman appeared.
Elusive_Wetta. Light Elf. Detective, Level 29. 
"Hi, Dan," she nodded to me like to an old friend. "So, you’re stuck in the sandbox? Still working as a mule?"
I simply shrugged, unsure of how to answer.
"Well, cheer up. One day you'll save up enough for a normal account and then you'll be able to play properly, instead of running errands for those assholes."
She left and I turned back to examine the town.
Anchor. Capital of this province. Location status: safe.
A small castle rose in the center of the hill. Two defensive walls encircled it below, while one- and two-story houses formed quarters, divided by twisting streets.
I descended the stone stairs, proceeded down the street to the nearest square and looked around. The traders' stalls were still closed. Time here seemed to match the time in the real world.
To avoid drawing the attention of the occasional pedestrians, I sat down on the worn front steps of a building and tried to call up the interface.
I succeeded after a few attempts.
Dan_23214, Human race, Warrior class.
Current level: 10.
I glanced through the character's main characteristics. Why go into the details? I'd just stand in for Denis and not level up anything. I noticed that Dan had a clear imbalance towards Strength and Stamina, while other characteristics were at baseline.
Okay, what else could I find out?
An advertising block suddenly appeared in my field of view in response to the mental query. The system was persistently encouraging me to switch to the new tariff plan.
It turned out that Denis had a Trial account. I focused my gaze and received a hint. The first month was free, then fifty credits per month. Restrictions were that you couldn't develop your character beyond level 20 but you could level up peaceful professions, for which certain skills and abilities were unblocked. Access was possible from any device. The Trial account (for introductory purposes) could be used not only by the registered user but also by their family members, whose social contacts were automatically confirmed.
The next type of account, which the system was encouraging me to switch to, was a Standard account. Access was only through a VR capsule and the single restriction was that a character could reach a maximum of Level 100. The monthly fee was 500 credits. No way! That's a solid amount of money in the real world!
The subscription fee for the Advanced account was 1,000 credits. There was the ability to transfer game currency... I didn't read any further since this obviously wasn't for mere mortals.
Following the links, I proceeded to study matters of interest. I was greatly surprised to find that millions of people all over the world owned a Standard account, according to the game statistics. I didn't think there were that many rich people.
Aha, so VR capsules could be rented! It turned out that residential districts in megacities had special entertainment centers where equipment rental was quite affordable for the average user.
My nephew sure led a strange life. He didn’t have a job and yet had taken out a loan to buy a VR capsule, rather than just renting it. I glanced at the prices. The cost of the budget model started at 10,000 credits. The numbers didn't add up in my head...
Fine. I'll figure it out later. There must be an explanation. But why doesn't Denis pay for a Standard account, staying on the Trial one instead?
Attention, you have a message!
The letter icon flashed. I opened it. As expected, the letter was from my nephew.
Hello. I'm fine. I'm guessing that you've logged in already. The most important thing is to play on low level. Don't accept any quests, whatever you do! Keep an eye on the character's progress. If you think that you're about to go up a level –  kill yourself. If you get to Level 11, you'll lose the protection and other players will be able to attack you. Believe me, even safe locations are full of hardcore players and dropkicks.
If you've got any questions, shoot me a line.
Dan.
Perfect timing. What did he mean by 'kill yourself'? Jump off a wall?

* * *

I noticed that the sun had risen and it was time to get down to business. The town was gradually filling with people. Stalls were opening and pedestrians appeared on the streets.
I found the list of tasks in a separate folder. Places were marked on the map. It was suggested that I visit several stores and then make a foray beyond the town walls. The reason wasn't yet clear.
The first control point was located nearby, only a hundred or so meters away. With the semitransparent minimap hanging in the right upper corner of my vision, there was no way to get lost. I followed the winding streets. Some were paved while others were mired in mud, creating a typical medieval environment.
The mark on the map matched the Alchemist's store. I pushed open the door and entered. Judging by the frame, a player stood behind the counter.
"Hey there, Dan. Here," he passed a heavy bag over to me. "Tell Hulk that the next batch will only arrive the day after tomorrow."
That was the end of the conversation. Seeing that I was still shuffling my feet, the merchant called Miserly_Borg raised an eyebrow. "Is there a problem?"
"No, no, nothing."
"Then why are you standing here? Get a move on! Time is money!"
How rude and confusing. I could hear the same dismissive tone as in the guard's voice. 
I simply shrugged and exited the store, deciding to avoid asking any questions for now. 
The day was warm and bright. It was so realistic that it sent shivers down my spine! My mood improved again. I headed to the next spot marked on the map, staring at everything as I went past. Nobody paid me any attention. Stopping at the Smithy, I spent a long time watching the craftsmen, fascinated by their work. Where could one see such a thing in the modern world?
I visited two other shops and received some food supplies and a dozen vellum scrolls. That's it. My inventory was full and the weight was close to maximum.
So, Denis works as a courier here? Sort of like a delivery service? None of the merchants demanded any money from me for the goods. Now I understood why Denis had spent all the available points on Stamina and Strength when he created the character.
I checked the map. Yes, I'd finished all the tasks in town and now my route lay beyond the wall, first along the road and then down a forest path. I had to reach a marker in a small clearing before midday. It was going to be a long walk.

* * *

I strolled through the forest, admiring its beauty and breathing the dizzyingly clean air. The level of authenticity in the digital world continued to astound me. The scarcely visible path gradually led me deeper into the trees. I began to come across mossy roots, shadows gathering overhead among the dense branches. I felt like I was in a national park, a place that no longer existed in the real world. Now I understood why most players rented VR capsules. It was a completely different level of perception! All the senses: touch, smell, the breeze, taste… I picked a berry, tried it and spat it back out. It had a bitterly sour taste.
You have received mild poisoning (10 seconds - 1 HP/sec).
Would you like to obtain the Herbalist skill so that you can identify plant properties?
I selected 'No'. My nephew explicitly asked me not to level up the character, which meant that he wanted to get Dan_23214 back in the same state as I had received him.
Well, I was fine as it is. In the gray reality, I had forgotten the very word 'nature' as cities grew rapidly in size, throwing tentacles of communication towards each other and the technosphere sucked up all the resources, turning whole regions into wastelands. It made this world look even brighter and more attractive. This world had a ban on technology. It had been replaced with magic, which I hadn't seen any evidence of so far.
I was deep in thought, admiring my surroundings. Like a child, I examined the thicket with unfeigned interest, touching the tree bark and feeling its texture.
So unbelievably real!
Even the fatigue was gradually making itself known. Another realistic aspect of immersion, since I hadn't gone on any extended walks in a long time. Oh, and I'd stopped limping! I couldn't feel the effects of my injuries at all.
I focused on three indicators in the interface. One was showing the current number of HP (health points). The second and shortest one showed the amount of mana (mental energy). The third bar was currently wavering in the middle. This was my physical energy, known as Stamina in gaming slang, which was spent on every action but quickly regenerated. The Stamina parameter was responsible for it.
My thoughts were interrupted by a noise. Someone was crashing through the undergrowth! What was I supposed to do?
While I was trying to think of something, an enormous bear entered the small clearing. The surrounding frame was red, with a skull symbol. The mob exceeded me significantly on all levels!
I stood still, hardly daring to breathe. My only weapon was a dagger. Even my distant knowledge of gaming was enough to mentally curse Denis for his carelessness. Daggers required a high level of Dexterity while Denis had spent all his points on Strength and Stamina! He's just a mule! I looked around and spotted a thick tree branch on the ground. Maybe if I grabbed it and used it as a club, I would inflict much more damage than with the teeny knife?
This was a grave mistake. Getting into a fight with an adult brown bear turned out to be a stupid idea from the beginning. The difference in our levels was too great but I had been startled by the bear's sudden appearance.  My reflexes kicked in – there's a reason people say that the self-preservation instinct manifests as two extremes – fight or flight.
Grasping the heavy branch, I received several messages at once.
You are overloaded (you have exceeded the maximum transportable weight possible with your current characteristics).
Your mobility is reduced by 50%.
You cannot effectively use the club (you lack the Heavy Crushing Weapon skill).
"AAAAAH!"
I discarded the useless branch and bolted away.
You have used a war cry. Your Strength and Stamina have temporarily increased by 1. The aggro radius of the NPC enemy has increased by 10 meters.
You have attracted the attention of the adult brown bear.
A spine-chilling roar sounded behind me.
The mob became completely enraged for some reason. A crushing blow of its paw snapped the pine trunk where I had stood just a second ago. A sweet woody scent filled the air.
I ran at breakneck speed, crashing through the blackberry brambles. The prickles tore at my skin and clothes. System messages appeared one after another. Luckily, the message window was located in the lower part of my field of view so the signs didn't obscure my vision.
Outfit durability is reduced by 20%. Protection from physical damage reduced by 2 points.
You are injured. Bleeding 30 seconds (1 HP/sec).
The bear's roar sounded closer and closer.
The thicket suddenly ended. I found myself on the steep shore of a relatively narrow but turbulent river. A mossy log lay over the rapids. Quick, to the other side!
I was roughly halfway across when I slipped, lost my balance and fell. I felt a chill in my chest, there was a fountain of droplets and my breath was knocked out of me. The strong current immediately began to drag me over the rocks.
Injury from falling 25 HP. Stun negative effect for 10 seconds.
The bellowing of the disappointed bear came from behind me. I had passed a bend in the river by this point and was tossed into the deep. I was drowning!
The branches of a weeping willow hung over the pool. I grasped desperately at the thin branches that reached down almost to the water, but they slipped through my hands, leaving only leaves behind.
A shadow flashed through the water and I even managed to read the frame.
Carnivorous catfish, Level 15.
The Swimming skill is available. Would you like to select it?
NO!
The Stun debuff had passed. I managed to grab the exposed tree roots, cling to them and climb onto the shore.
I lay there completely exhausted, gasping for breath. My clothing was in rags and my whole body was burning. The Life bar had shrunk by two-thirds, taking on an alarmingly orange color.
After a little while, I caught my breath and sat up, my back against the tree trunk. I stretched out my arm – the fingertips were shaking slightly. I listened apprehensively to the sounds of the forest, in case there came the crunch of a branch or the rumble of an animal.
The water gurgled softly, the trees rustled overhead and the birds trilled their songs.
Right, so what do I do now? While my HP slowly regenerated, I opened the location map, first reading and deleting the annoying message,
Life support system recommends: urgent exit.
No way. Firstly, I feel relatively okay. Secondly, I had business to attend to.
I'd lost my way. The route trodden by Denis was somewhere off to the side. Now I'd have to make my own way through the woods.
Oh, and this place was called the Peaceful Forest according to the map. I wondered what the traveler could expect in the Wild Lands, whose boundary was about twenty kilometers north of here!
I should have found a weapon more appropriate for my character! It was too late now to regret my carelessness. I had thought that I would stroll through the forest, breathe the clean air and complete a simple task, combining the pleasant with the useful, but it was not to be.
The leaves rustled as something crawled by. To be honest, my heart jumped at the noise. Keeping completely still, I read the frame.
Adder. Level 7.
It didn't notice me and disappeared among the dense patch of ferns.
I wonder if mobs attack each other? Or do they only attack players?
I approached a witch hazel bush and used my dagger to cut off a long branch. Using a piece of rope that I found in my inventory, I attached the blade to my improvised spear and looked at the result.
A crooked makeshift spear. Cannot be thrown. Stabbing damage 2-5, multiplied by the current Dexterity score. Special attack: deep lunge. Chance of critical hit 1%.
You have successfully created an item. You have gained 30 Exp. The Craftsperson skill is available. Would you like to accept it?
I selected 'No'.
I hadn’t managed to trick the game with my makeshift spear. The modifier was still Dexterity, which my character had at the base level (5). Hence, the spear's damage was 10-25, which was the same as the dagger.
Having rested and waited for the Life bar to regenerate completely, I headed into a tangle of ferns, moving in the direction of a wooded hill a couple of kilometers away, where the coveted marker glinted in a small meadow.

* * *

I must have met the bear by accident. I had simply been unlucky. I spotted only a few small animals on my way, which I easily avoided.   
A withered tree drew my attention at the foot of the hill. It stood out so clearly against the background greenery that a person simply couldn't pass it by. I became curious, of course, so I came closer and saw a circle of yellowed grass and rough-hewn rocks that jutted out from the ground.
You have found the location Mysterious Hill.
Quest available: Dried Up Spring. Type: normal.
Find and remove the rock that is blocking the spring.
Reward: 100 Exp, +1 reputation with the residents of the nearby village.
I didn't have time to lug around rocks. I had to deliver the goods first and then decide if it was worth coming back here.
A few steps later, I stumbled across some yellowish bones peeking through the moss, as well as a rusted pickaxe with a rotted wooden handle lying beside it.
Quest available: The Secret of Forest Hill. Type: normal.
Find out whom the pickaxe belonged to.
Reward: 500 Exp.
I didn't disturb the remains. I was intrigued, of course, but there was no time left for a search. Work was waiting and I was running late enough as it is! Yet I still lingered. Something glinted dully in the grass. Interesting... I squatted down and saw a large, teardrop-shaped crystal with a simple amulet beside it, adorned with the stylized image of a shield.  I picked up both objects and examined them.
You have obtained the Soul Crystal.
Unrecognized artifact. You do not have enough Intellect to determine its properties.
You have obtained the Guardian's Amulet. Unrecognized artifact. You do not have enough Intellect to determine its properties.
The Secret of Forest Hill quest has been updated. The quest type has changed to personal.
Find out if the Soul Crystal and the Guardian's Amulet are somehow related to the digger's remains.
I placed the amulet straight in my inventory but examined the crystal, noting that a tiny and delicate flame had sprung up inside from the warmth of my palm. I looked at it more closely. What a strange flame! It was edged in black.
What could it mean? I had no idea. I'd try to find some information about the Soul Crystal later but now I had to hurry!

* * *

It was after midday when I reached the forest glade with the marker.
I smelled smoke from a fire and picked up my pace, but then stopped when I heard the voices.
"A hundred gold. Hand them over and we'll go our separate ways. You'll wake up in respawn."
There was a sickening moan in response.
"Hey, Wang, heal her up a bit or she'll kick the bucket before long."
I carefully made my way through the bushes framing the clearing, crawled to the top of a small rise and peeked through a gap in the tree branches.
"Assholes! Let the girl go!" came a voice from a deep hole.
There was a camp set up in the clearing. I stared at the roughly assembled cages. A wounded wolf sat in one of them and a girl about five years old huddled at the bottom of the other: frightened, in rags and with a tear-streaked face.
The three players looked quite average, except that their avatars emanated a strange, misty aura.
"Worry about yourself instead," snapped back Impatient_Wang, Dark Mage, Level 30. He was easily distinguished from the others with his long staff and draping garments. He approached the edge of the hole and cast a spell. The red light of the special effect briefly illuminated the unsightly details. I managed to spot the same female elf that had I met this morning. She had landed in a trap and was caught on the sharpened spears at the bottom. The elf's Life bar was almost empty but the mage's intervention had extended her suffering. The healing spell made her HP jump to the middle of the bar and change to a yellow color.
"What the hell do you want with this NPC?" asked Savage_Hulk, Dark Assassin, Level 30, as he also approached the edge of the hole. He seemed to be in charge. "Did you accept a quest from the village elder to free her?"
"Have a heart, filth!" The elven woman wheezed out. "She's but a child."
"Yup," Savage gave her a crooked smile. "She's a piece of code wrapped in a soppy avatar," he pointed out. "It's only a game, or have you forgotten that? You've got your quests and we've got ours. You want to free the girl? Not a problem. Another hundred gold coins and she's yours."
"I don't have that many..." The elven woman moaned in pain again.
The third PKer (the usual name for player killers) sat off to the side, beside the fire. Fierce_Zarek. Dark Warrior, Level 31. 
Is this how Denis earned his money? Nobody would trade with criminals and the town guard wouldn't let them near the town, but this didn't seem to be much of a problem. My inventory was full of parcels of food, vials and parchment, everything that they needed, delivered straight to their forest camp.
"Alright, have a think, maybe it'll make you more talkative," Savage_Hulk lost interest in the female elf and returned to the fire.
"Dan's running late today," noted the Dark Warrior. "He's still got to take the loot back to town."
Indeed, there was armor, weapons and chunks of some kind of ore laid out not far from the cages.  
"You're going to get banned, scumbags," groaned the elf.
"Nope," Savage replied lazily, "Nobody's going to touch us. Even if you write to support, we'll show them our logs. You fell into that hole by yourself. Wang here was healing you, trying to save your life. What's the problem? There's no torture. Plus, we've got Dark auras, remember?"
I didn't understand a lot from their dialog. My body was suddenly flooded with uncontrollable rage. I thought that I'd gotten rid of such feelings long ago and had regained my self-control, leaving the past in the past... but a crimson mist descended over my mind.
The trembling quickly reached my scalp and made the skin there feel too tight for my skull. My fingers clenched the shaft of my makeshift spear.
You cannot attack other players while you are under the Immunity Aura. Reach Level 11 to unblock the PvP option.
The message didn't calm me in the slightest. My heart felt like it was ready to jump out of my chest. I couldn't think straight.
'Breathe in...out... In...out... Think... It's easy enough to die a pointless death... You're alone, unprepared, practically weaponless...' Snatches of thought flashed through my mind. 'Look in the inventory. What did you bring for these jerks?'
I could feel my blood singing in my veins, my heartbeat thumping in my ears.
The scrolls wouldn’t help. I didn't know how to use them. What about the vials?
I noticed that the crystal I had found had begun glowing again. The orange flame with the black border leaped and flickered inside.
The letters on the labels grew blurry. I read the names with difficulty. This one would do. And this one.
Now, I had get a grip on myself and pretend that nothing was happening. I was still trembling. The adrenalin couldn't find a way out.
I crawled backwards, stood up, brushed my clothes off and walked through the shrubs, no longer trying to hide. As I walked past the pitfall, I surreptitiously dropped two large healing potions, a levitation potion and a couple of poison vials into it. There was no time to read what kind of poison it was.
"Dan, where the hell have you been? You're late!" Savage reproached me.
The elven woman understood everything and immediately sent me a private message.
Thanks. I'll deal with them. If you want to help, free the girl. Grab her and run. There's a path beyond the fire that turns to the right. Follow it. The village elder will protect you. I've dropped a marker.
"You've got a bear around here!" I snapped back. "Level 30, at least! It almost tore me to shreds!"
Savage spat to the side scornfully.
"Fine, drop off your stuff, take the loot and run back. You need to deliver the goods to the trader before evening."
"Yep." I gave him the parcels of food, parchment and vials, then, barely holding myself back from punching Savage in the face, approached the stolen goods. I spotted a morning star among the weapons. Quashing the rage inside me, I focused my gaze with difficulty and read the object's properties. It was the perfect level for me...
"What are you lagging for?" the Dark Warrior was watching me closely.
"Yeah, coming. What an interesting object," I picked up the weapon and pretended to examine it.
A suspicious noise came from the pitfall.
"Wang, go and take a look!" Savage ordered at once.
"She's trying to escape!" Yelled the mage.
Using the moment when they were all distracted, I smashed the morning star into the cobbled-together cages. The wood splintered into pieces. The girl turned out to be a bright one and ran towards me.
You have completed the first part of a secret quest, Rural Days.
You have gained 500 Exp.
You have reached a new level.
Attention, now that you have reached Level 11, you have lost the Immunity Aura. PvP mode unblocked.
The Rural Days quest has been updated. Take the girl to the village.
I picked up the girl. Now I’ve got to get out of here!
The freed wolf shot past me like a gray shadow. Wang gave a full-throated scream as the animal sunk its teeth into his ankle, disrupting the casting.
The levitation glow died down in a shower of special effects. I could hear shouts and the clash of weapons behind me but I didn't look back. I ran as fast as my legs would carry me, past the fire and to the right, onto a path that led steeply down the slope.
I wasn't being followed yet but I doubted that the elf would last long alone against three opponents. The girl clung to me, sobbing. 


Release - April 10, 2019



No comments :

Post a Comment